Thursday, October 8, 2015

Accomplished something I'm sure

Chasing goals can be frustrating if you make them too big! So I prefer to go in manageable steps with what I call short timeline reachable goals. To some extent it's like taking the easy route--lots of little goals stacked on top of each other, easily achieved.

But for instance this post can represent dozens of them.

If I were instead to see the entire post itself as my goal, then I could get swamped with the details, and find myself struggling to meet it. But with lots of little goals building to it, is MUCH easier.

As each of these little goals come together the result is something I have the nerve to present to the world.

There is a value in seeing a reward at the end of the week, or near the end of the week for those who have to work Friday, as it winds down. I say cheer your accomplishments and am certain they are there.

To get to peak I think you need to be celebrating accomplishment a LOT.

Why? Well if it's fun, then why wouldn't everyone do it? Accomplishing things gives me a thrill. With lots of little goals keep getting these little thrills constantly. By the end of week can consider a sizeable set of things! I like it that way.

And I think we're learning as a society to push a view that is leagues away from the old ideas of dragging yourself to something horrible to just do what you have to do--or else.

Anyone who checks the history books on work in the past, especially factory cultures where so many people, including children tragically, worked through 12 plus hour days in often horrible conditions with little regard for their safety can understand why work was considered an onerous task. For many work was a nightmare which shortened their lives or could end life suddenly.

Go back further and before machines, or even now with them, for those workers who do a lot of field work, like in picking fruits and vegetables, and you can also see how work can be considered this burden that must be carried until you can get a well deserved rest.

But, like, I'm typing. And I can type kind of fast, so yeah, my fingers can get kind of tired, you know? Where I can make light of it to some extent, but here the act of typing is necessary, but the real work is elsewhere.

In our times we can actually believe people who find extreme pleasure in their work! Can comprehend those who have to be pushed away from it to take vacations. It can make sense that some are so driven that work is the most dominant force in their lives as one of the great joys of their lives.

And accomplishment just makes it better.

There is a lag I think, as I remember decades ago when I was trying to find my way in the world of work, still getting messages to just do a job even when I hated it, and to just accept things even when had a bad boss, as if that was just the way things were. While today I say those are reasons to RUN, for your own good and to escape a company that may implode at any moment.

Yeah, I'm the writer so I get to write that and yeah I do believe it. The idea that bad business practices actually work is I think yet another fiction that people find interesting.

More and more humanity especially in the most advantaged countries is learning the benefit of work that empowers, inspires, and gives you immense satisfaction, as you get things done.


James Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment