Thursday, October 1, 2015

Is there a guy pack mentality for style?

In my experience, when I would run with a guy pack, there was lot more similarity I think in what we were wearing than differences.

Do wonder if in American culture many men work to stand in, versus stand out. And if so male uniformity in clothing is a style statement in and of itself.

Focus on the male perspective is natural for me, because, well, I'm a guy.

And am proud of a country which is increasingly focused on equality so will try to be careful here, but it's not my imagination thinking of cases where women talked about being aghast at wearing the same outfit as another woman, to an event. And I would just note that without really getting why it mattered. To me, such thing seemed like, hey cool, see you have the same high tastes as me! From my perspective? That's validation.

Not that it'd be necessarily a good or bad thing if men in American society tend to be pushed to uniformity in clothing. Though it could explain some things. As a guy when you're running with your crew, eliciting those stares of incredulity at something you're wearing is pressure. It's like, everybody here has on jeans and t-shirts, so why do you think you can wear loafers? Trying to make a statement? Ready to challenge the leader of the pack for dominance?

Ok last I just made that up. Thankfully I never did run with such a crew.

For me so much was long ago and wonder if things are much different now. Haven't really ran with a pack in a while I'll readily admit. So in my experience with the guy pack fashion was discussed less openly. And I think then it was because it would imply fashion differences.

People talking fashion don't sit around marveling at how...or do they? Do they sit around excited at how close each is to wearing very similar clothing to everyone else?

Or do they tend to celebrate differences?

Got things done this week?

I know I did. And there is a thing I think where people can decry a lockstep mentality, as if endless originality were all that worked, when so often getting things done can depend on lots of people pulling together.

Our world works great with lots of styles, not just in clothing but in behavior. So yeah, taking orders requires a certain mentality. But I think at its best, freedom is in the mind.

Of course, how others react to us is in their minds, and it is interesting that careful balance between personal choice, and how really you'll get things done in the real world.

There are places which require uniforms in life, and nothing wrong with same for those who make those choices.

If you go out tonight as you're deciding what to wear it might be interesting to consider two positions.

If you feel a push to be different--concern someone else might be wearing the same thing for instance.

Or feel pulled to uniformity--considering just how off can that basic style of your group can you be?

Call it a social experiment. There is no right answer either, only your reality.


James Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment