Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Politics, money, what reality?

People can say things that are SO vague, and repeat them until they think something must be true as they've heard it so much. Like what really is the deal with money in politics?

Many times I've heard it touted that money is so important in an election usually from reporters and I start wondering to myself why do I think they actually know anything?

But what is the biggest way money is spent? I feel confident that in the US can go with political ads.

But the appeal of the idea that money is so important is easy to understand.

Some reporter is looking at a difficult political race, and suddenly there is this number! It is how much money one candidate has versus the other! Easy. Reporter reports the advantage is with the one with more money. People think that's what matters, even when it clearly doesn't.

Why? I think it's because it's easy, and very hard for someone to argue with you, as so many people accept it, as they've heard it so much. And let's be honest, who doesn't like easy? Ok, maybe some people don't like easy. Actually am sure there are people who love hard, so they go out and do all these hard things. Which you know is actually an entirely different subject. Maybe there are reporters who like hard. Maybe even some who might wish to dig deeper than just how much money, but they're blocked by others?

How many even keep up with when a wealthier candidate vastly outspends a political opponent and loses anyway?

Well I love those stories, so I know I do.


James Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment