Wednesday, October 21, 2015

World against us American Black folks?

There's an odd thing with being Black in America which to me is being relentlessly taught that the ENTIRE freaking world is against us, except maybe Africa, but sometimes not sure. Like what about those South Africans? And I think it good for me to go ahead and address race on my political Wednesday as let's face it, in this country, if you're Black people expect you to talk race.

Usually I just don't. Why not? Because I don't think about it that much.

So why do I say "Black" versus "African American"? Well I grew up with it. It's shorter, and reality is I think the other is less accurate anyway, as what about someone actually immigrating from Africa today? Technically the term can apply to a variety of races, as a person from the continent of Africa who emigrates here can really be any.

Though reality is my skin color is brown. But hey the "Black" for Americans who feel it is a proper designation is really not as much about skin color as some might wish to believe. I think that's just about convenience. People like to claim something against plenty of evidence it really isn't the most important thing. And there has been recent uproar on the issue as to what it means to be Black which I found enlightening.

Of course American Black people are not the only race or ethnicity who think the entire world is against them. Must of course mention Jews who have plenty of evidence to present as well. And could give other races or ethnicities. It is an unfortunate category where many can provide evidence.

There are aspects, however, to the variation from my country that Black people have an entire world against them coming from a peculiar American point of view, and I find it fascinating when wealthy Black people especially with celebrity will glumly talk about the horrors of racism in their lives...excuse me?

And not claiming that people all over the world who are actually black in skin color are not facing discrimination as well. Discrimination on the basis of skin color is an odd thing that human beings do. But there are so many ways some people pick to decide to discriminate against some human being. Skin color is just one.

In the United States being "Black" is more of an idea as is American racism which is increasingly speculative than a reality while for plenty of poor Black folks it is a crushing burden. I grew up in a lower middle class home. Which is not great. It's just ok. But isn't poor. Though have also experienced poor, like now. And at times I find myself falling into a certain defeatist way of conversing about my life, and realize it was trained.

And you know what? Having an entire world against you can be sort of depressing. Thank God it's not true. I think that would be a quick fight. Um, I know it would be.

Part of me is wary in discussing but it is too important. Even if a Black person wishes to chase defeat to play an expected role in a world supposedly against, society must say, no.

Society must say: you may think we hate you, but we do not. We will help you instead.

Is American racism just a thing of the past? I think not.

Does it in various ways greatly hamper the lives of a disadvantaged population? I think yes.

But can it also be about a mentality that expects failure, and can work to create it?

I fear, yes.

To me whatever continuing American racism exists sounds like a challenge to be overcome, where we can do it in our time with a lot less fear versus in the past when trying hard enough could be a death sentence, with Black people killed by angry mobs.

They faced death. And today some may wish to claim the same is true with regard to police action but to me that's problematic. In the past it wasn't even just fear of death from an angry mob as a successful Black person deemed "too successful" could be burned out of property. THAT physical fear is a huge burden.

Today, the most successful Black people do not appear to have that type of fear, while others struggle in a day to day, which too often involves violent clashes with the police.

Why does it matter? Because clearly then it's not about race.

Must be about something else.

Opportunity is not a terrible thing. And having it is not a horror. Too many Black folks I am certain are still convinced it does not exist, against all evidence, including plenty of Black people who are highly successful, who nonetheless often appear to get away with de facto claiming they are not. As if in a world against them, of course they can't really rest easy, you know? As if they too are crushed under a weight of racial oppression as they zip around in big black luxury cars, and fly in private jets from parties to corporate meetings. Or simply luxuriate in their mansions.

When a world is against you? Maybe you could still shudder at times as you munch thoughtfully on fine caviar, if you're Black in America.

As if there is a world against us and always will be.

Some Black folks actually say that, which does not make it true.


James Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment