Monday, August 1, 2016

Thoughts on reachable goals

Getting going on Monday the feel of that start of the week for those starting their work week can so much be affected by goals to be accomplished over it. And if you're on summer vacation? Good for you! Still a good time to reflect on goal setting and to efficiently set some great ones to help enjoy your time best.

And I like to focus on short timeline reachable goals versus calling them short term ones, as on any given day may finish out 15 to 20 short timeline reachable goals, where yeah, to me? Making the bed is one. But of course there are more substantive ones, like getting a blog post up! Which actually involves about a dozen or so STRG's as I like to call them for short.

Which can help a bit with perspective I guess, as reading the words of a post, and considering that getting to the point where other humans see it besides myself will require quite a lot of goal setting and lots of goals reached! Which is fun. Can maybe let readers ponder how could possibly require that many, but will note of course have to write a post, but there is editing of the rough draft. And there are several edits. There is also scheduling and publishing. And with those things cover roughly six or so of the most important of the STRG's.

Notice though getting the post itself up so you can read is itself one short timeline reachable goal! Yet that involves lots of others as well.

Focusing on short timelines can help in a useful way as how do you know a goal is reachable, or is even a goal?

If you think you have a goal, and give yourself a short timeline and goal has not been reached, then you can assess. For instance let's say I have an STRG to tie my shoes if wearing ones with laces, of course. And that should have a very short timeline of less than a minute, and if I find I have not accomplished that goal, what happened? Well maybe the phone rang and rather than ignore, ran to get it, without tripping over laces of course, and that distraction is the result.

Notice then will probably go ahead and just tie my shoes before heading out the door.

However, if you find you are not reaching goals within the short timelines then the goal may NOT be reachable within that timeframe. Or you may NOT have a goal in actuality.

For instance if my goal were to have a popular blog by tonight? That's probably not reachable. It could happen, but is unlikely given proper expectations.

But if after years I found I hadn't done things to make this blog popular, when I think the goal is to be a commercial success, then that demonstrably wasn't my goal.

So yeah back to here! And I like that this blog being a commercial success is a stated goal but is not a short timeline one. But is it reachable? Time will tell.

I think it is. But figuring out how to get there is a lot of work.

But there will be SO many STRG's along the way. Where having short timeline reachable goals lets you check your goals very quickly or whether or not a goal is reachable very quickly.

So on the path to the bigger goal, I have a pile of demonstrated accomplishments represented in just this post itself. Where if it didn't get done then I could check at many levels, and notice that would also tell me LOTS about the progress towards the overall goal of success as well.

So check yourself with STRG's if you want a very fast way to see if you're doing proper goal setting. Notice get LOTS of practice if you're setting 15 to 20 per day. Get to that level? And you'll have goal setting down, including how to set real goals, determine proper timelines, and be confident they are reachable.

And then? Just get the goals done, as you reach accomplishment or enjoy your summer vacation that much more. And yeah, why not then do a power dance here and there celebrating the job of accomplishment? Maybe Friday?

Have a great week!


James Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment