Sunday, November 20, 2016

Figuring out metrics that matter

Have two primary ways that give me broad information about who my readers here are, or at least things about visits where like to think people actually read too! Which are Blogger stats and Google Analytics ones. But people can opt out which is why it's a general measure which is ok. And I check Blogger stats more routinely but to really get much info especially over time turn to Google Analytics.

To me as have mentioned before I think have found I focus on country counts as they're exciting, while other metrics like total number of visits shown are not. But like now on Google Analytics it says had visits from 14 countries last 30 days.

That's a LOT more exciting to me than the total number of visits, as ponder which ways to measure are the metrics that matter?

And for instance noting more countries here is why put up Google Translate on the blog as seemed like a good idea THEN to facilitate maybe people who might want to read from other languages. Though am not sure how well it works, but at least it gives a chance.

If I go back a year, which is easy enough on Google Analytics as just change the earlier date to Nov 20, 2015, and it says 58 countries. Wow. See? Much more exciting. Actual visit numbers though? Not so much. Would give but THAT is material to the commercial aspect of the blog so getting used to not giving out audience numbers. But what Google Analytics says is not a complete measure anyway.

And also that is visits from 412 cities and 7 languages.

Which makes sense to me, for MOST visitors for a word-heavy blog in English even with Google Translate which I added recently. Oh goodness and 3 of the 7 are English anyway as it differentiates between just English, American English and British.

And you can see why I get more excited with certain metrics. And for people reading here you can see that you have global company: People from 412 cities that are in 58 countries according to Google Analytics, in the last 365 days.

The blog is still in heavy construct mode as far as I'm concerned where now am focused on measuring the audience to figure out things that can go on my Promotional Tuesday which can get to the commercial aspect more directly. Like could actually promote a movie, BUT have learned the hard way I'd need to see the movie first. So if I got a promotional deal for one, would need to see the movie ahead of release and feel good about it. But that's just a random idea.

Currently am thinking more on the commercial side and planning, versus putting things in place as is complicated and I want to get it right. To me it's worth it. I want to be proud of what I have here always.

Thank you to those reading! Those metrics given are remarkable. Kind of information will admit is fun to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment