Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Checking authority benefits

One of my favorite posts presents a functional definition that authority relative to one entity is when some other entity has information needed. And talked a LOT on that subject in one of the most popular posts on this blog.

And we can check people on authority, like with seeing if a medical doctor is properly credentialed, or verifying that a lawyer has passed the bar. While often will admit will not necessarily check authority THAT way, though haven't needed to lately, so just making up examples. Ok.

Um, where was I? Oh, so yeah often will find that I rely on signs of authority. Like in a hospital? I expect those people who look like doctors, to actually be well trained doctors where others have verified such things.

But out here on the web--what are the signs of authority? That is, someone having information you need?

That is the hard question of the web I think, and there can be help. Like you can go to government websites for certain kinds of authority. Have heard web search engines are working more with medical information to link people to established authority.

Am someone who likes the web authority aspect of the web, which yes can have problems but over time I think is getting better. However, also I recognize that for someone like myself can push others into difficult territory.

Like have lots of ideas. Where many may not be sure about me or those ideas, especially if looking for established authority. Which I highly recommend doing! That means less likely to cheer those ideas. While others who dislike those ideas, seem to be much more likely to put up negatives. And I like that process.

The burden then on someone like myself becomes substantial which helps to clear out people who cannot meet it. While I also will admit it does push your audience more into people who can check.

So yeah, very much promote checking authority. Benefit is knowledge. And figure will keep being a hard problem as long as humans have to work to be sure what they think is knowledge IS knowledge. Where yeah, like to keep it simple there as well, with knowledge being useful information which is what I know I want.

How do you check authority? Well that is extremely valuable knowledge. Is good to promote it.

No comments:

Post a Comment