Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Promoting concepts around equality

The idea that each human has a basic right to a personal space is one I like. And is one have promoted in various ways.

And helps to understand what that means to consider an opposite position where a person believes that a powerful person can leverage against subordinate humans at a whim, for own pleasure. My view is that such invasion of a human being's personal space is wrong. My belief that is wrong is one consistent with a certain set of values.

Others might say that say, a famous celebrity should be able to leverage, as a reward, pushing upon some other human for sexual pleasure against that person's wishes. I say, no.

Also I believe that MY interest in a woman, should never be HER problem. Where to me that also covers photography. One of my favorite posts has:

But when you see that art, which can be about so many things, like a picture with a model in a photograph, or a great painting, and she's smiling beguilingly at you? No she isn't. Or he isn't. Or someone transgender is not. 
Why is worth it to remind that art at its best can appeal to millions or maybe even billions? That's not about me. 
That is about art.

From my post: Art is not just about you

Will admit have learned some things from hard lessons. Yes, been abused myself and talked some, and have worried about my own behavior. Where like to think have been ok. But have in the past looked at women in certain ways, only to grow older and wonder how that happened. And discussed some on this blog:

There is a scary training where a pushy man forces himself upon a woman with the idea she needs to be conquered. Which is thankfully going out the window as unacceptable in our more modern society. Echoes of it are throughout older entertainment though. Or that a guy can say anything, lie or whatever to get a woman. Also echoes of that in fiction as well. I don't think that's ever funny.

From my post: With real equality boundaries will be respected

So I have ideals. Living up to them can be about constant effort. But I like to say, better regardless to have them.

How is it when humans feel there can be rights to breach personal boundaries? Well for one, when they are saving you, like in a medical emergency. Or when legal authorities, including police, believe you have broken laws. And those are situations when even an adult is at the mercy of others, with a social function giving them the right.

It is interesting in a society, what rights people believe people have based on status though.

Equality pushes against certain things in ways that fascinate me, which I explore often.

Respect for personal boundaries when people exist together as equals can be very important to feeling safe. To me that also helps in figuring things out.

Some promotion of posts on the blog itself on Promotional Tuesday as well as concepts that run throughout.


James Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment