Sunday, June 11, 2017

On authority, post on Wednesday

As someone who is very much involved with words on the constant where even now I watch them step out onto a white background with fascination as I type this post, am curious about how we use them, and how much we understand them. Like what is authority?

Asking that question was the start for me, for more words, where will finish on Wednesday with a post, where I look functionally to ponder.

Doesn't take much to announce a scheduled post and am still looking at so much whitespace that seems to call for more words. And watching them as I type continues to fascinate as each has a personality to me. It is something that can help the words flow, as I'm not sure from whence they come though that urge to gild them does not come often. Like whence is such a fun word to me. But is it necessary?

On what authority do we find our way, and why does one word matter more in writing versus some other?

Is it authoritarian to stick more to protocol or better to go creative with grammar and vocabulary, but with spelling? Never. Maybe I can comma as I like, but I misspell at my peril. And such rules we learn somehow, someway as we communicate much on the constant in the never-ending conversation which is human discourse around a planet.

Or maybe some can get away with bad spelling, while I acknowledge the authority of spell check while also having to question it often, like it doesn't like whitespace. Why not? It oddly teases me, with that word clearly red underlined above, it is not just now.

We trust tools that work so well, we can find it hard to question their authority, until they get as quirky as the humanity which created them. Am sure there is an answer for why spell check on Blogger with this post would put an underline under just one use of the word whitespace while...no way. So it doesn't mind whitespace with a period after, like whitespace. And as I test it taunts me.

I have no clue on what authority it behaves and part of me would just as soon clear out. This weirdness can just be a mystery for me, but why not share? But also, hey Blogger? Fix please.

That is nuts. Am looking at four times using the word whitespace where...ok, five times and three have a red underline, which is wrong, as is ok. And two do not? Huh?

And filled enough so now the words dominate and so much black now on the white. And besides ready to move on. There is work to do! A scheduled post for Wednesday and this post to announce is not needed to be so long.

Coming back after posting and now? NO red underlines anywhere as I edit a bit. So weird.

And back as I'm still editing. These free flow posts are fun, but I end up editing more. And yup, now same words have red underline and must be a bug. So yeah, now I question the authority of spell check with good reason. Complex systems so yeah they have screwed up code in them. And looking at this bug? Well this morning just helped me out! And no, do not plan on announcement posts to be this long in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment