Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Promoting functional perspective

YEARS ago found myself struggling with certain things until I wrote my own definition of a word, which was a functional definition, I decided to call it. To help that make sense here is my latest formalized one, written almost TEN years after I posted that first one:

entertainment (noun): any socially accepted activity chosen in order to alter mood in a desired way which is unlikely to bring harm in any way.

And what makes it functional? If correct as remember I made it up, its function is to let you know if something is entertainment or not. So if you look at a television show and it does not put you in the desired mood? Then was not entertainment for YOU. Might have entertained someone else.

And that ride certainly stops being entertaining if goes from just scary to dangerous, like if equipment malfunctions and people get hurt.

The post with that definition is on one of my other blogs and rather than link, thought might be more interesting if you can check it some other way, if you can find the proper authority on the subject. Linking to it might promote my blog a bit, but not enough to matter I have on good authority, which is my own.

Tomorrow is a post on authority where I talk a functional perspective with a definition NOT formalized like above, but is very short.

What is the contrast with a typical dictionary definition in my experience? Well those I think tend to be descriptive.

Oh yeah, so that first functional definition nearly a decade prior to the one above? I wrote my own definition of mathematical proof. And figured better to put that admission at the end, so as not to scare people off before they get here, to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment