Thursday, November 12, 2015

But is it a guilty pleasure?

To me the idea of suggesting people go out on Thursday night to get an early start on the weekend seemed somewhat pushing the edge. Which it may not be. Am sure plenty of people do it as I did it for decades, starting back in college.

Reality today is that how we look at work has to shift as work reality continues shifting.

More and more I think a workforce needs a certain mental well being, which means less of a feeling of being chained to a job. It's no longer a guilty thing to feel like you should feel well at your workplace. And more and more people expect it.

Having a quiet night out any day of the week, shouldn't be a big deal really.

Saw a key making machine at a major discount store, which of course will not name. Do wonder if this blog were at a place where an offer might be made, would I take it from this particular one? Talking it out though such an issue may never arise.

Actually talking it out just makes me realize why I'd feel uncomfortable if it were possible. Kind of makes me wonder then if that is even something that could work with me. Figure something that doesn't make me feel queasy will occur to me eventually.

And of course a key making machine is SO much more convenient if it works well as admit didn't check it out, as thankfully didn't need it. But have needed keys made in the past, and would go find where there was a person who would do it. And not that it was hard but it seems to me that a machine can just be more readily available.

In our times machines have changed so much about how we look at work. When robots of various kinds, including that key making machine which can be considered one, can do so much physical, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week.

No human being would even wish to compete with such schedules.

Maybe for me it's still an adjustment to think of work as more empowering than drudgery. And there is kind of a sense of getting away with something with behavior that can be both adult, responsible and a great way to add to the quality of your life.

Maybe not for everyone, but being able to head out after a solid week of work on Thursday night, even to finish out the work week on Friday, and head back out again was usually for me just a better way to do it.


James Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment